August 12, 2011
On August 12, 2011, two Zoning Change Applications were submitted to the Delaware-Muncie Metropolitan Plan Commission for property in the Layne Crest Addition owned by Homer J. Bradburn of Bradburn Realty, LP and Wiltshire Properties, LLC (Homer Bradburn President of both). Case Number 04-11z ( application | map) is for the rezoning from R3 to Community Business of the property defined as 2300-2400 Block of W. McGalliard Rd. and 3100 N. Winston Dr., Muncie, IN. The purpose of this rezoning was stated as "to help attract future business and development". Case Number 05-11z ( application | map) is for the rezoning from R3 to R5 of the property defined as 2011 W. McGalliard Rd., Muncie, IN. The purpose of this rezoning was stated as "apartment buildings containing 216 units, 584 beds marketed toward student living".
- Click here to view the Notice of Public Hearing for the R-3 to BC rezoning application.
- Click here to view the Notice of Public Hearing for the R-3 to R-5 rezoning application.
- Click here to view the City of Muncie Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance. Pages 28-30 of the PDF discuss the R-3 Residence Zone. Pages 35-39 of the PDF discuss the R-5 Residence Zone. Pages 49-51 of the PDF discuss the BC Community Business Zone.
- Click here to view the Muncie Delaware-County Comprehensive Plan.
August 29, 2011
Homeowners in the neighborhood submitted the following letter to the Delaware-Muncie Metropolitan Plan Commission:
August 29, 2011
To: Members of the Delaware-Muncie Metropolitan Plan Commission
From: Interested Parties re Zoning Change
As concerned homeowners in the affected area we are asking that you vote AGAINST the rezoning requests petitioned by Bradburn Realty, LP and Wiltshire Properties, LLC and Campus Crest Development for the 2000-2400 blocks along McGalliard Ave.
We have several areas of concern regarding the development of a proposed 216 unit apartment complex and future business development at this location. Namely:
- Muncie residents have long been concerned about the entry corridor into town and the image we project to incoming visitors. A large residence hall located in a residential area would not enhance our image. Such construction would create traffic congestion, increased noise levels and litter that would not be appealing to visitors or anyone else. Consider the unsightly trash that already lines McGalliard in front of the Wal-Mart/Lowes area. It seems that we were assured that that area would be kept clean and appealing and that barriers would be in place to keep those areas out of direct view.
- McGalliard Ave. is already a heavily travelled and noisy thoroughfare that residences must endure. To add additional traffic flow created by 216 apartment dwellers does not seem to be considerate of local residents.
- McGalliard is a main route for emergency vehicles, particularly to the hospital and fire protection for Ball State University. Additional traffic created by such a residence area could interfere with those services.
- Creation of a large residence building and the additional congestion is also a great concern for the safety of middle school students walking and biking to and from school.
- Development of a large business area in the midst of an existing residential area would/could significantly lower the value of existing homes and property. Residential areas that were developed as quiet neighborhoods where people chose to settle and raise their families would surely be compromised.
We thank you for your consideration of this matter that we consider of great importance.
September 1st, 2011
The Delaware-Muncie Metropolitan Plan Commission voted against both Zoning Change Applications at their regular monthly meeting on September 1st, 2011 at 6:30pm ( agenda | minutes | The Star Press article page 1 and page 2 | The Ball State Daily News article).
October 3rd, 2011
Details of Ordinance 39-11:
ORD. 39-11 AN ORDINANCE TO AMEND THE CITY OF MUNCIE COMPREHENSIVE ZONING ORDINANCE FROM THE R-3 RESIDENCE ZONE TO THE R-5 RESIDENCE ZONE ON PREMISES LOCATED AT 2000-2300 BLK OF W. MCGALLIARD ROAD, EXTENDING SOUTH TO N. BELMONT DRIVE, INCLUDING LOT 88 OF THE LAYNE CREST SUBDIVISION, MUNCIE, INDIANA.
November 14th, 2011
December 5th, 2011
The Muncie City Council voted to adopt Ordinance 39-11 at their regular monthly meeting on December 5th, 2011 at 7:30pm ( agenda | The Star Press article page 1 and page 2 | The Ball State Daily News article).